Feeling underchallenged, overwhelmed or bored at a company that isn’t letting you flex your software developer muscle?
Come take up our remote working Principal Software Developer role at GCD. We’re small enough that we feel like family, but big enough to take on innovative software projects for amazing brands like Coca Cola, Fane Valley, Belfast Telegraph and many more…
Be part of a team that creates great software solutions and see firsthand your work making a big difference in the hands of our clients.
Be part of GCD……
As a Principal Software Developer, you will lead from the frontline in making great architectural choices and inspiring those around you to be the very best they can be.
At GCD, we have four key principles of responsibility:
In each of these pillars you’ll find key areas of responsibility, leadership and commercial awareness which we expect of our Principal Software Developers.
We’ll need you to:
- Design, architect and build a wide range of robust, resilient custom software solutions using Typescript, React and Node that respect:
- A client’s budget or appetite for risk,
- The teams experience and ability to onboard in new technologies,
- The requirement for security,
- The ability to be productive and deliver real value to a customer,
- The goal of ‘reuse’ to focus on solving new problems, not reworking old ones
- With a customer-centric approach, research, consider and implement new technologies that help improve how we deliver custom solutions.
- Proactively contribute to a team culture that values challenging convention, promotes robustness and delivers more.
- Advise product owners on appropriate technology choices based on an effort versus value based analysis.
- Help the team break down user stories into actionable tasks that reduce risk, maximise collaboration, keep up momentum and continually deliver value
- Work with peers to foster our culture; challenging and encouraging for the benefit of all.
- Join our mentoring pool to be available as a mentor to 1-3 individuals if required.
- Be ready to share the load and help those who need it.
- Love learning, be curious and always be growing your skills and experience.
- Write excellent documentation.
- Work with a remote first mentality, thinking of ways to communicate and work effectively with a blended team using tools that give everyone equal opportunity to discuss, develop solutions and be part of the GCD family.
If all that sounds like the perfect opportunity for you then there are just a few more essential criteria you need:
- A minimum of 7 years experience in the software industry.
- Experience working within an agile environment.
- Excellent academic qualifications and communication skills, written and verbal.
- A keen eye for detail and a passion for quality, robust solutions.
- Desire to keep up-to-date with emerging technologies and practices, constantly challenging conventions and your own understanding.
- Eligible to live and work in the UK.
Good to have:
- Evidence of contribution to a personal or open source project.
- Evidence of taking a leadership role in a technical team.
- Client facing experience.
In return, we will offer you:
- A great salary plus 10% bonus
- 33 days annual leave
- Bupa private medical insurance
- 5% matched company pension contribution
- Flexible working options – alternate hours, reduced / condensed hours
- £3500 personal hardware budget
- Personal development and training plans
- Access to our mentorship programme
- Regular social events – virtual gaming nights, quizzes, virtual escape rooms and social gatherings
- An annual Christmas weekend away for employees and their partners
GCD was founded in 1999 by our two founders, in their student accommodation in Queen’s University, Belfast. It was a time of dial up internet, Netscape browsers and Napster. People didn’t ‘google’ things, smartphones didn’t exist and business software was grey and dreary.
Our ambition back then was (and still is) to create better software for businesses; to replace those ‘grey’ out of the box digital solutions, that barely work and are a pain to use, with beautifully designed custom software products and platforms that help businesses innovate, compete and win.
How we work
Behind our software solutions is a close-knit team of dedicated, ambitious engineers, thinkers and inventors. We love what we do – imagining, designing and building custom software solutions and apps that defy expectations and deliver results for our clients.
For all our staff, we offer a flexible approach to working, giving them the choice to work from where they feel they will be most productive, whether that’s at home, in the office or a blend of both. This role is for those seeking a fully remote experience, so you can be based anywhere in the UK but you’ll still be part of the GCD family.
We adopt a Remote First approach to our processes and how we work, so for those who are fully remote, we ensure that all meetings are held via Google Meet, even those who are based in the office.